NC Community Front Page Photos

• NC Community Front Page Photos

Posted by dana.acker on May 16, 2023 at 10:12 pm

The background long photo is of NC’s beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, part of the Southern Appalachian chain. The main photo (colorful inset) is Pilot Mountain. Eons ago this area was home to numerous groups of Stone Age Indians. Pilot Mountain from certain angles looks like God took a giant ice cream scoop, and scooped out the top of the mountain, and deposited it right beside where it was scooped out. There is another mountain in Southern Virginia, Buffalo Mountain, which along with Pilot Mountain, served as two cardinal navigational points for said Stone Age Indians traveling north and south. They were the Stone Age equivalent of the maps/travel app on your smart phone.

dana.acker replied 11 months ago 4 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • dana.acker

Organizer
    May 16, 2023 at 10:46 pm

There exists a factory on the land next to my old high school. A wide creek, or shallow river runs behind both. The factory was built in the mid to late 1950’s. Land wasn’t protected in those days, but when the contractor broke ground and discovered skeletons, he halted excavation, and called the head of Archaeology at the University of NC. He gave them three weeks to get what they could, then he was going to build the building. The Archaeologist called universities across the country and enlisted the help of their Archaeology departments for a share of the loot. What they found was a Stone Age Indian “city.” They found tons of artifacts and skeletons. The “city” was determined to be an ancient trading center for traveling Indians, as they dug up knapped stone “points” made from materials not native to NC. So Mayberry was a tourist destination going back millennia before Andy and Barney. This helped change what archaeologists and historians believed about ancient peoples. Knapped stone “points” as they are called, are often erroneously labeled as “arrowheads.” Only the tiniest of points are actually arrowheads, as anything longer than a half to three quarters of an inch would be too heavy to fly farther than a few feet. And, any bear hunters or big cat hunters among us would probably agree that getting about 3 feet away from your quite dangerous prey before letting your arrow fly, probably would have led to those folks’ extinction. Points longer and wider than an inch were most likely knives, or tools which would have been hafted in bone or antler. This realization changed the perception that early Native Peoples 5000 to 10,000 years ago were not just hunter gatherers, but were much more domesticated settlers and manufacturers of tools and weapons, and processors of materials necessary to have as good and comfortable a life as you could have back then.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Dana Acker.
  • NCYinzer

May 16, 2023 at 11:04 pm
    • dana.acker

Organizer
      May 17, 2023 at 8:31 am

Great shot! Up until I was in my 20’s you could climb stairs up to the top of the knob! Where you out of roughly?

• NCYinzer

May 17, 2023 at 1:19 pm

Winston-Salem

• dana.acker

Organizer
      May 17, 2023 at 9:36 pm

We’re practically neighbors. Maybe we can get together over the Summer and share a sandwich and/or a cup of something. Trish and I come to WS frequently, usually for medical reasons, but we also have a son and daughter-in-law and grandsons there as well.

• NCYinzer

May 18, 2023 at 12:15 pm

Sure, that would be great.

• FarmerJoe

May 17, 2023 at 2:20 pm

Hi fellow Carolinaians. I’m in Monroe!

• dana.acker

Organizer
      May 17, 2023 at 9:37 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you with us. Do you have a farm?

• dana.acker

Organizer
        May 17, 2023 at 9:40 pm

You are about 1 1/2 to 2 hours south of us down I-77. You border SC, and we border VA.

• FarmerJoe

May 18, 2023 at 6:34 am

Yes sir we do. Horses, chickens and soon cows 🙂

How about you?

• dana.acker

Organizer
      May 18, 2023 at 8:26 am

I don’t have a farm, but I do have a blacksmith shop. I do custom knives and tools.

• FarmerJoe

May 18, 2023 at 9:06 am

That is awesome. Thats a goal of mine one day is to forge knives

• roaster

May 19, 2023 at 1:19 pm

Pilot mountain is an awesome sight. I’m in Cary NC. I get out a bit mainly mountain biking trials. New to the paid site but long time listener. I look forward to some conversations with others in my quest for truth and revelations.

• dana.acker

Organizer
      May 22, 2023 at 12:22 pm

Hey Roaster, welcome! Before I retired the winery for which I worked used to do wine festivals in Cary. Great Grapes. Glad to have you with us!

• roaster

May 23, 2023 at 12:33 pm

Not much into wine, but home brewed beer years ago. Into coffee roasting currently. I dream of doing various blacksmithing/metal work occasionally. Have you made any Damascus knives? There was a TV show a few years back about guys in backwoods of NC turning old car leaf springs and what not into cool custom knives and selling locally – I found that really interesting.

• dana.acker

Organizer
      May 24, 2023 at 7:42 am

I’ve worked on some Damascus, but don’t sell many knives made from it, because it’s so expensive. The “sticker shock” on a regular knife scares a lot of people off, but many don’t realize the amount of work and time that goes into producing one. I got my start brewing beer, but I’ve not tried coffee roasting. Bet your place is a good place to get a cup of coffee!