Losing 100 lbs – My Story

• Losing 100 lbs – My Story

Posted by TheRooster on June 14, 2021 at 7:25 pm

Started August 2019 at 285 lbs. 45 at the time. Always have been 25-30 lbs above normal. But got pretty fat, and got sick of it. Lost my first dog in 2018 and that likely added to my woes, because of lack of movement. Thanks to my wife’s prodding, I started working my way towards intermittent fasting. It’s not easy.

Took me about 3 months to get used to eating with long fasts in between meals.

Sleeping counts in the fasting period, so extending the fast by not having breakfast is a good way to start. I know…. Skipping breakfast seems like a bad idea. It is not, you’re only moving the time of when you “break fast”.

In any case, for any weight management to work, you need to stick to it.

Here is my current routine …. Not “diet” because it’s actually a way of life.

16 oz water at least when is wake up. After that, I drink coffee, black, over ice all morning until we have our meal at 4:30pm. No milk. No sugar.

We eat at around 4:30 pm every day as our “break fast”. Lucky us, my wife is a great cook, so we are spoiled. But we do eat basically anything other than fast food. Avoiding refined sugar. Minimize on bread as well, but you can eat bread.

Snack on variety of nuts if we get hungry after the meal, but at least 1 1/2 hour before bed no food.

Walking abut 2-4 miles every day with my dog. That’s the major exercise that I do. Gardening is the second form of exercise.

Try getting to sleep earlier and waking up earlier too.

Strangely, I can have 2-3 beers every day and still maintain my weight at 185 lbs for the past 4 months. Lost 100 lbs since August 2019.

Haven’t had a cold or flu in years.

mchapman48446 replied 2 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Liberti

June 14, 2021 at 7:45 pm

Awesome congratulations and thanks for sharing

• TheRooster

Organizer
      June 14, 2021 at 8:05 pm

Thank you.

• SpotTheDog

June 14, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Great job! Lifestyle change and maintenance is the key.

• TheRooster

Organizer
      June 14, 2021 at 8:06 pm

Indeed. That’s why I avoided calling it dieting, because people think that they can just go back to doing what they were doing – which was not working to begin with.

• SpotTheDog

June 14, 2021 at 8:30 pm

I do the walking 3-4 miles on Mon.Wed.and Fri. Also limit Carbohydrate grams to 65 grams or less per meal. Try to make my carb choices to the complex variety since carbs are the things that convert to fat. Most people avoid fats thinking that is what makes them fat, however there are more vitamins that are fat soluble that get missed when avoiding fat. Avoiding sugar is a biggie since it is simple carbs. I too have not given up drinking as my wife and I enjoy martinis. The only carbs there is in the olive or onion. 😎🍸

• TheRooster

Organizer
          June 15, 2021 at 3:53 pm

Martinis are good for you 🙂

Well, they say alcohol in moderation is good for many things.

Cardio Vascular health booster.

• SpotTheDog

June 15, 2021 at 4:48 pm

Red wine of course and also gin and tonics since the tonic water contains quinine. Same family as HCL.

• TheRooster

Organizer
              June 17, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Good point on Tonic Water.

• co_83

June 15, 2021 at 4:58 pm

1-2 Martinis at most… past 2 they turn into loud mouth soups.

• TheRooster

Organizer
              June 17, 2021 at 12:01 pm

Hahaaa, loud mouth syndrome…. That’s alcohol at a different consumption level.

• mchapman48446

June 24, 2021 at 12:28 am

Awesome success story! Congrats!