Lesson from a Leper….

• Lesson from a Leper….

Posted by dana.acker on April 6, 2022 at 11:29 pm

This was posted over on today’s videocast comment section, in response to Judy.York. Judy shares the same experiences as so many of us, who have friends and relatives who have disenfranchised and marginalized those of us who would not drink the Medical Industrial Complex, Government, Woke Crazoid Flavorade. Near the end of her comments, she said, and I quote, “We are lepers, period.” I feel her pain, as most of us have. She’s not wrong. This is my response to her comment: “Don’t worry about being a leper. Lepers might have something important to say to us today. Might I suggest your reading, “Koolau the Leper,” by Jack London (“The Call of the Wild “ and “White Fang”). It’s a great story; quite pertinent to our times.” http://www.online-literature.com/london/72/ My response is not the point; it’s merely posted for context. The point IS the story; “Koolau the Leper,” is a great tale. And, more importantly it expresses a sentiment in brutal terms with which we all have an affinity. Do yourselves a favor and read the story. It’s a short story, not a novel. Takes about a half hour to an hour to read. It’s time well spent. Pints half off at the Tavern with proof of readership.

dana.acker replied 1 year, 11 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Paige

April 6, 2022 at 11:51 pm

❤️

• Taxman

April 8, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Thanks for recommending this work by Jack London. I enjoyed it today over my lunch break and nearly forgot how masterful he is with imagery and detail.

If the bar’s open, I’ll take some bourbon, neat.

Thanks again Dana!

• SpotTheDog

April 8, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Gotta remember to check this out. BTW, I’m already on the bourbon shot. Dexter tonight!

• Taxman

April 8, 2022 at 9:50 pm

It was your comment in an earlier post that got me thirsty. I’m burning the mid-night oil tonight and a little bourbon never hurt nobody. Cheers my friend! 🍻

• SpotTheDog

April 8, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Cheers to you and anyone else in the Tavern tonight!!!

• Paige

April 9, 2022 at 12:01 am

Cheers, y’all! 🍷

• An_American

April 8, 2022 at 9:59 pm

👍

• dana.acker

Organizer
    April 10, 2022 at 11:34 pm

London’s “The Road,” is a small book about his “hobo/tramp” days and experiences hopping freight trains and surviving by his wits. It was during a depression in this country several decades before the one in 1929 (that no one ever mentions) and how men had to hit the road and the rails just to try and find any work at all. We are headed that way now; advice from a real “road warrior” could be of use. Plus, the stories are just fun. https://freeclassicebooks.com/London%20Jack/The%20Road.pdf

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Dana Acker.
  • dana.acker

Organizer
    April 10, 2022 at 11:38 pm

Sorry, the link as I posted it does not work. However the site is real, and they do have a pdf of “The Road.” Y’all are smart people, y’all will figure it out. It’ll be worth the chase.

• dana.acker

Organizer
    April 10, 2022 at 11:42 pm

I fixed the link; it now works. Mea culpa. Drinks on the house.

• Taxman

April 11, 2022 at 12:22 am

I didn’t realize that. I remember watching The Journey of Natty Gann as a little kid and not really fully understanding why the dad had to leave her behind for work. I’ll have to check this one out as well. Thank you sir and I do appreciate the “gratis”

• dana.acker

Organizer
        April 11, 2022 at 12:24 am

It’s a good read. Enjoy!