To Fly or not to Fly?

• To Fly or not to Fly?

Posted by Maiko on March 13, 2024 at 12:41 am

A practical question. Anyone here fly at all? Gotta do a flight and am debating if I should just drive across the country instead of fly.

All the airplane accidents, Boeing BS, mechanical failures, failures of mechanics, etc. The tire falling off, the emergency exit coming off, that random flight that nose dove and spiked the passengers into the ceiling. The whistle blower that blowed his last whistle.

I mean WTF. I really don’t know if I should just risk and fly or drive n’ cry.

Should I just book kayak and exclude Boeing models? I know Airbus has had a few issues. But maybe not as much as the Boeing models.

Maddening. Any thoughts or advice.

• This discussion was modified 2 months ago by  Maiko.
    Maiko replied 2 months ago 10 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • StopKiryasJoels

March 13, 2024 at 1:01 am

Forget about it…don’t even think about it. Take a one way each way they’re cheaper and have fun. People driving want to be hit now on Highways and Byways. Forget about it.

• SpotTheDog

March 13, 2024 at 3:22 am

One thing to add to your list is all the jabbed pilots dropping dead in the cockpit.

• Porkus

March 13, 2024 at 5:07 am

Yes, I do fly. Fly like an Eagle! Have a Bloody Mary to calm you down, use noise cancelling headphones, book a comfort window seat and I highly recommend a neck pillow. Ignore all surroundings, watch a movie or two and sleep. Don’t worry about Boeing safety issues. The FDA has our backs, LOL. Up your life insurance while you are at it.

I have driven cross country and for me it takes a couple days to recover from the push to get there sooner than later. But that is just me. Best of luck!

• TheDeplorableWinner

March 13, 2024 at 6:48 am

I don’t fly. Once I went through Logan Airport in Boston and after what you have to do, I swore I would never fly again.

• Samfatboy

March 13, 2024 at 8:21 am

Flying, regardless of the appearance of more FAA events, is still far safer than being on the ground.

30,000 plus flights a day in North America, and how many planes go down in a year? Out of 30,000 car trips how many accidents? How many people a day die while flying, versus those remaining on the ground?

However, getting to and through the airport has become a huge hassle. Then there are the airlines cancelling flights because they have personnel shortages. Now, with shortages in the maintenance crews, and especially Air Traffic Control shortages, I do wonder if accident rates have increased, or will increase.

For me, I still feel that air is the safest way to travel distances greater than 1000 miles. I now need a very compelling reason – family – to travel that far. I have more things to check out within 1000 miles of where I live than I can possibly get to.

• Op_Tweeter

March 13, 2024 at 8:33 am

Hi Dana. This is a great question to debate. I say go with your gut. If you feel safer driving, enjoy the drive. If flying, probably do some preparation/research in advance. I presume most of us do as well before a long drive, e.g., weather forecast, car check up, construction areas, safer times to drive, etc. All we can do is prepare the best we can however we travel. Safe travels friend. Keep us posted. Be well.

• HerbieDeez

March 13, 2024 at 9:54 am

I just shared our family’s airport experience on here a few days ago. We’re in Florida keeping an eye out for a decent vehicle to buy, drive home and then sell. 3 of the 4 of us would rather drive home than fly. If you have the time to drive, do it. I too share all of the concerns listed here. We also know everything the Feds touch turns to shit.

• _Fastestinthewest_

March 13, 2024 at 2:38 pm

FLY AND DIE: https://www.wtoc.com/2024/03/12/boeing-whistleblower-who-raised-concerns-companys-production-found-dead-reports-say/

• Samfatboy

March 13, 2024 at 7:22 pm

Damn,

May get as dangerous to fly as driving down the streets in Philly or any other metro area. Until the next plane falls outta the sky. Then you’ll have a hard time flying anywhere.

• Maiko

March 13, 2024 at 9:59 pm

I’d like to add this:
    Plane nose dives for no reason. Could be a pilot error, but everyone knows how the maxs had that auto pilot correction issue that would force the nose down automatically.

Basically dunked peoples heads into the ceiling.

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/latam-plane-flight-nosedives-video-sydney-auckland-going-to-die

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Maiko.
  • Maiko

March 13, 2024 at 10:12 pm

The data is not helping my anxiety.

https://www.panish.law/aviation_accident_statistics.html

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2023/8/25/23844717/america-safe-air-travel-car-safety-accidents

https://lesserlawfirm.com/is-flying-safer-than-driving/

There are a bunch more but bleck. Gonna need a benzo and and a kilolitre of vodka for flights at this point.

• Samfatboy

March 15, 2024 at 1:43 am

47,710 air fatalities in 37 years , worldwide. Basically one year of auto fatalities in U.S.

The comparison is astounding.

• StopKiryasJoels

March 13, 2024 at 11:34 pm

Last year the Mrs got me a one way ticket to Chicago on South West. It went as expected. TSA pissed me off as always. They probably have me on a list after I left a live round in my back pack one time. Return flight 40 days later was fine too. The only weird part was, she had booked the flight on our Anniversary Day.

• Jun

March 14, 2024 at 10:05 pm

Maiko, I’m going to be a little direct here; but you’re gonna have to pull yourself together.

This is exactly the sort of issue we will be confronted with over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, again and again and again and again from now on.

My advice to you is counter-intuitive: RELAX.

Also: BREATH.

Top accomplish this: Find your CORE. “Tight is Light.” Them relax and breath.

I am being very serious here. “Try it, you’ll like it (Boomers will get the Alka Seltzer reference)”.

The answer will come to you naturally, intuitively. Trust your gut and you will NOT go wrong. PERIOD.

• Maiko

March 15, 2024 at 9:39 pm

I just chose flights on models that had 0 accidents LOL. Shout out to kayak.com for filtering out the MAX models.