Mechanical Engineer/Designer, 3D Printing

• Mechanical Engineer/Designer, 3D Printing

Posted by Cracker5 on June 14, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Thanks for putting this group up here, hopefully we will see more come into this fold. I have been a designer for over 25 years, I have my own business in Northwest NJ. We have seven 3D printers that we run regularly, two of them run 24/7 doing production work.

Although I like designing products, prototypes and the like, my true passion is wood working, and who knows what is going to happen going forward. Maybe the wood working may be a viable barter system should some raw materials become impossible to get.

If anyone has any questions or needs help in the area, please do not hesitate to ask, I like helping folks out.

Cracker5 replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Organizer
    June 19, 2021 at 4:49 pm

Hey Bob! Welcome, I apologize I didn’t realize that the Discussions and Feed were actually separated so I just saw this!

That is awesome, what kind of thing do you produce with your printers, if you don’t mind me asking? I would love to work with 3d printers and lathes in the future as a career. If I could build and design things for a living I truly would never be unhappy, just frustrated a lot haha

Also what kind of things do you like to build with your wood working? I grew up near High Point, NC so we were right there in the heart of woodworking land. I knew all kinds of furniture makers and woodworkers growing up

• Cracker5

June 21, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Hey Josh, I have my own business and I do engineering and product development for multiple companies. Mostly I print prototypes of the parts I design for these companies, but the printers are also valuable for things we need around the house that can’t be easily purchased or even exist. They are very handy tools.

As far as wood working goes, I have built furniture in the past and other projects for folks. But really, I enjoy anything that needs to be made of wood. The only thing that really sucks right now is, the artificially inflated prices for lumber/wood, it is disgusting how these corrupt corporations exploit us to make more $. Thankfully there is always some wood around that can be repurposed, so I always keep an eye out for that.