The Band Played On….

• The Band Played On….

Posted by dana.acker on October 17, 2023 at 9:18 pm

Hey there Taverneers. Sunday I crawled out of my hole, saw my shadow; it scared me so much, I crawled back in. When you live in hospitals, and everything else you do revolves around going to and from or being at the hospital, or dueling with the medical industrial complex, you start to feel like Bill Murray in “Groundhog Day.” But just every once in a while you encounter a special grace that makes the ordeal…somehow worth the effort. You end up the prospector who after months on his knees in a muddy stream, finally scores a gold nugget. Long story short, Trish is doing about as well as someone with a traumatic brain injury can be, everything else complicating things aside. The medical intelligencia still has no idea what happened to Trish to cause such a massive brain bleed, but worse, they for sure have no idea how long it takes to get over it. Progress is heartbreakingly slow, and some days it’s two steps forward and three steps back. But today, I was helping Trish eat her breakfast, and she commented, that I was working too hard. I responded, “That ain’t working,” to which she replied, to my utter amazement, “That’s the way you do it; you play the geetar on the MTV.” (Apologies to Dire Straits’ “Money for Nothing.”) Anyway that got the ball rolling. We started listening to her favorite music on my tablet, and lo and behold, she sang along, word for word. She knew them all. It’s the first time we’ve had a “fun” moment since the surgery. Don’t get me wrong, every time I get to see Trish, it’s a gift. But this was different. It was enjoyment on a different level. Mike always talks about how therapeutic music is, and today it was good medicine. No matter how serious the injury, or how slow the overall healing process seems to be, a big thing which Trish and I have long shared, and both loved, individually and together as soulmates, was still in tact. The injury nearly took her life; but it didn’t take her (our) music. When the fellow who takes my parking money at the hospital said, “You have a blessed day, Mr. Acker,” he had no idea how prophetic he was being. Like Robert Hunter of the Grateful Dead wrote, in his monumental and healing classic “Ripple,” “Let there be songs to fill the air….” Can I get an Amen?

• This discussion was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dana Acker.
    ryan.olsson replied 7 months, 1 week ago 16 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • WaywardSon

October 17, 2023 at 9:29 pm

Amen Dana. A wonderfully written and heart warming tale. Thank you for sharing it and pulling the light out of the darkness, that might otherwise consume us. Our continued best to Trish and to you.

• Betsy.Ross

October 17, 2023 at 9:33 pm

Amen. Baby steps. 🙏

• wonwaymel

October 17, 2023 at 9:36 pm

Amen brother and god bless!

• Carrie-in-Chicago

October 17, 2023 at 9:42 pm

AMEN! This is beautiful and thrilling! Seems yo me that Music might be a way back for Trish… and sharing it could make the journey more joyous. @wonwaymel introduced me to A VERY IMPORTANT resource/person – Dr Eben Alexander regarding consciousness and brain function. I know you are overwhelmed, so if you are interested and so can help just DM me, ok? HEY @wonwaymel you wanna chime in? You’re further along in the book 😉!

• Op_Tweeter

October 17, 2023 at 9:42 pm

Incredible story Dana. A blessing to have those special moments in tough times. So happy for you & Trish to have some escape time involving music. It can be so very therapeutic. It’s amazing how the repetitive listening to notes & lyrics become permanent memories that can be remembered in some of the most unlikely times. Prayers to you both and continued recovery. One breath. One blink. One minute. One hour. One day at a time.

• dana.acker

Organizer
      October 17, 2023 at 10:53 pm

Amen!

• wonwaymel

October 17, 2023 at 9:51 pm

I am honored to add my two cents just the title of this post, and the band played on. There’s so much to be sad about that. I would recommend all of you go back and read the lyrics to that song it has so much to say under the covers.<div>
    </div><div>I finished the book today @Carrie-in-Chicago I think we should start a book club on this forum. I found it very profound, and I’m still working through everything I learned from the book.. I will be in touch with you soon about my thoughts about the book and what it did for me.</div><div>Namaste</div>

• dana.acker

Organizer
      October 17, 2023 at 10:26 pm

Hey Wonwaymel, I’m glad you chimed in. Thanks! Yeah, feel free to start a book club. Another great line from Robert Hunter in “Terrapin Station,” in speaking of the “Story Teller,” he wrote, “His job is to shed light, and not to master.” Anything that sheds light is welcome in the Tavern!

• dana.acker

Organizer
      October 17, 2023 at 10:33 pm

P.S. your profile icon looks like a chocolate lab. I have a black lab (mix, but mostly lab), and a more lovable dog I cannot imagine. Dog lovers get discount drinks in the Tavern. OK, I’m not a bigot, cat lovers get the discount too. I had a black (feral) cat many moons ago who lived to be 17, and there’s not a day goes by, I don’t miss her.

• Carrie-in-Chicago

October 17, 2023 at 10:04 pm

HEY THERE @wonwaymel ! You are as humble as you are brilliant! I love the idea of the book club. Even better is the possibility that we might’ve able to put our heads together to help Dana and Trish should the need arise! If nothing else Dana you know we are here to help. Funny… the music of Dire Straights got you and Trish out of a “dire straight” and a few beautiful steps toward recovery ❤️‍🩹… and the band’s just gettin’ started…. Now play that geetar!😉

• dana.acker

Organizer
      October 17, 2023 at 10:47 pm

A great point! Thanks for pointing that out. So true. Before a previous surgery, Trish’s surgeon told us he listened to music while operating. Someone commented, “I hope it’s not ‘Stairway to Heaven.’” The surgeon smiled and replied, “You should be glad it’s not “Highway to Hell.” He was a Deadhead, so it was alright.😉

• delores.g

October 17, 2023 at 10:08 pm

I love that you and Trish were able to have such a special moment it is a good sign that she is able to find herself with music. We keep praying for her recovery and for you to be able to stay strong for your family

• dana.acker

Organizer
      October 17, 2023 at 10:36 pm

Thank you, so much. I draw much strength from you all.

• wonwaymel

October 17, 2023 at 10:15 pm
    • dana.acker

Organizer
      October 17, 2023 at 10:36 pm

Oh yeah, now we’re talking.

• wonwaymel

October 17, 2023 at 10:29 pm
  • StopKiryasJoels

October 17, 2023 at 10:42 pm

Amen & keep your powder dry.

• wonwaymel

October 17, 2023 at 10:44 pm

<div>
    </div><div>There is so much to say about music and frequencies , not surprised Trish responded in that way. </div>@dana.acker https://528atonement.com/

• dana.acker

Organizer
      October 17, 2023 at 10:58 pm

Thanks for this. Understanding it scientifically is above my pay grade, as there is much that smacks of the Divine that is above my pay grade, but I believe it wholeheartedly.

• Ian

October 17, 2023 at 11:41 pm

Amen, brother Dana!

Slippin and a slidin , Trish will get there – Skateaway, that’s all! These day’s we all get to feel like an urban toreador – all we can do is keep listening and tapping our feet. Hey and when Trish comes home – Hallelujah, here she comes – we’ll all click our heels and do a little jig. Trish, you are the roller girl, don’t worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyEj78_Vodo

• Mimi17

October 18, 2023 at 12:43 am

Dana – what a wonderful scenario! The mind is such complex thing and it is amazing the way music embeds itself in it! Please know I’m praying for Trish’s recovery…may God bless the both of you during this journey. Stay strong, brother!

• Fomalhaut

October 18, 2023 at 1:25 am

That’s fantastic news. Keep the music playing!

Page 1 of 2