“Irish Democracy….”

• “Irish Democracy….”

Posted by dana.acker on October 19, 2021 at 12:00 am

A while back I posted a discussion, something to the effect, “Don’t Forget to Fold, Spindle or Mutilate.” That was taken from Abbie Hoffman’s “Steal This Book,” as an encouragement to engage in mischievous civil disobedience. Many of us feel the frustration of feeling the oppressive boot on our collective necks by the out of control government and the Big Pharma/Medical Industrial Complex. Many of us also fantasize banding together, breaking out the proverbial torches and pitchforks, overthrowing the empire and locking up the bastardos, thus restoring “…the land of the free and the home of the brave.” But we quickly come back to our senses, when we contemplate just what it would actually take to pull it off, especially when the empire and its corporate cohorts we would seek to overthrow HAVE A HIGHLY TRAINED MILITARY WITH TANKS, JET FIGHTERS, AND ENOUGH MISSLES TO DESTROY THE WORLD A DOZEN TIMES OVER!!! So at least until there is enough of a groundswell of grassroots guerrillas to provide overwhelming numbers with the cojones to once again fire “the shot heard around the world,” we must find more subtle methodologies. Living in the South, I’d suggest sneaking up to DC and planting kudzu. Pretty soon this relentlessly pervasive vegetal life form would do the work for us, and totally engulf the entire district in a real green new deal…but I digress.

Recently I stumbled upon a new (to me) term that I offer for your contemplation.

The following I copied from the website http://www.granitegrok.com and in particular, a posting by Tim Condon on December 29, 2012, titled “What is Going Galt? What is Irish Democracy?” (While an admirable and agreeable idea, we’ll leave the “Going Galt” be for now. Followers of Ayn Rand will be familiar with the term, or, the merely interested can become familiar with the term by searching upon it.) Mr. Condon’s post: “Now to “Irish Democracy,” an ironic term used by author and Yale professor James Scott in his new book, “Two Cheers for Anarchism“:

Quiet, anonymous, and often complicitous, lawbreaking and disobedience may well be the historically preferred mode of political action for peasant and subaltern classes, for whom open defiance is too dangerous….One need not have an actual conspiracy to achieve the practical effects of a conspiracy. More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.

Must this be the default response to an ever-growing federal government unbound from any meaningful Constitutional limits, metastasizing and increasingly contemptuous of any law deemed inconvenient to the ruling political classes?”
    Again Tim Condon gets the credit for the above post; I’m just passing it along, and hope I have provided enough documentation to not be guilty of plagiarism. But the concept of “Irish Democracy” is a most appetizing one indeed. “Death by a thousand cuts” as opposed to wielding a five foot “Braveheart” Claymore and charging the Crown. Perhaps we can knock our heads together and devise some ways to follow the American tradition of spreading democracy to the unenlightened, and start spreading some “Irish Democracy” to those “…who would be king.” Guinness droughts and Jameson or Bushmill shots half price!

dana.acker replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • dana.acker

Organizer
    October 19, 2021 at 10:00 am

Just as an aside, the practice of “Irish Democracy” makes sense; as if one gets so fed up desperate as to take militant action, like say Timothy McVeigh or Ted Kazinsky, the full weight of the empire will come down on the heads of said malcontent(s) and an “example” will be made. McVeigh got a needle in the arm and it wasn’t a vax, and the fallen angels locked in “the Abyss”will be released before Mr. Kazinsky. Also they are the new FBI poster children for Public Enemy Number One, replacing the likes of John Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd. People who practice “Irish Democracy” will neither get the notoriety nor “the needle in the arm,” but, and this is a big but, sometimes constant irritation is worse than getting blown up. I was/am a fan of “Breaking Bad.” There was one episode where rogue chemist/drug czar Walter White (Bryan Cranston) was working in his mega-lab alone, and a fly got in. Afraid the fly might contaminate his product, he spent the entire episode chasing it, trying to kill it. It drove him crazy! Just a little fly. We need not devise explosive devices, which, have more than enough potential to harm innocent people not the intended target; we just need to find ways to become flies. But watch out; flies get swatted, so stay frosty! But there’s nothing so irritating as a lone fly you just can’t get. Fly on brothers and sisters.

• dana.acker

Organizer
    October 19, 2021 at 10:14 am

Oh yeah, do you realize that the Oklahoma City bombing was the excuse (justification) that gave the Federal Government (outside of the military) the legal right and authority to use and apply the death penalty? Pretty much since the hanging execution of the Lincoln assassination conspirators, official application of the death penalty was reserved for and solely performed by the states, as murder was always a state crime. Now the Feds can legally put you to death.

• SpotTheDog

October 19, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Exactly what they are doing with the vax. A slow and cruel death….

• dana.acker

Organizer
    October 19, 2021 at 10:29 am

Kudzu was introduced into NC to help curb erosion. Well, it did that, but it ended up being like re-introducing Velociraptors to help curb deer overpopulation. And we give these government imbeciles the money and authority to do these things….

• dana.acker

Organizer
    October 19, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Spanman nailed it when he said, and I quoted in the “Don’t Forget to Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate” discussion, and it’s worth revisiting: “You defeat these morons with brain power, not fire power.”

• Unknown Member

October 19, 2021 at 1:35 pm

That was a while ago Dana. Seems folks are pretty smart. With firearms, your brain is the most reliable safety mechanism! Firearm owners are the most intelligent and law- abiding citizens around!

• dana.acker

Organizer
      October 19, 2021 at 7:31 pm

Still, hats off; it’s a good line!

• dana.acker

Organizer
    October 19, 2021 at 11:39 pm

And everybody always thought “Cheers” was the only place “where everybody knows your name.” Ted Danson’s got nothing on the Tavern! While actively a commercial winemaker, wine snobs would ask me in their haughty (seeking for something esoteric) tones, “Tell me, just what exactly, is your philosophy of wine making?” To which I’d answer, “It’s like this, I can drink with my pinky finger sticking out with the best of them, but if you mess with me, I’ll cut you.” Which…generally ended the conversation. I subscribe to what the T-shirt says, “It takes lots of beer to make good wine.” A round of ale on the house!

• dana.acker

Organizer
    October 19, 2021 at 10:04 am

I mean, could you imagine the Washington Monument completely covered in kudzu? The thought makes me smile. 😃

• SpotTheDog

October 19, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Actually I was thinking more like the entire Capitol Building, White House and Supreme Court Building. No sunlight for you!!!