EDC

• Posted by dana.acker on February 21, 2023 at 7:32 pm

OK Taverneers, how about a change of pace from treachery in high places, the haves vs have nots, seditious conversation, and end times theology. Or like the Monty Python’s TV show opening, “And now for something completely different.” So I thought it might be fun to approach a topic that’s been hot for a while, and has generated a zillion YouTube videos. That is EDC, or Every Day Carry. All of us carry something(s) in our pockets or pocketbooks, or vehicles, that we either use every day, or just to have on or about our person for those “just in case” moments. They can be tools or weapons; multi-tools or flashlights; fire starters—lighters or waterproof matches or ferro rods; fountain pens or ballpoints, wallets or pouches; anything at all that if you forget it and leave it at home, you feel like you forgot your pants. So what do you carry all the time? What brand of item do you prefer over another, and why? As many of you know, I am a knife maker. I’m no longer “in business” as the business of knife making became so time consuming, that I lost the joy of doing something I loved. Now I make what I want to make, and if someone wants to trade goods, services or legal tender for it, great. Otherwise some family member or friend gets something sharp and pointy for Christmas or birthday or just because…or I end up with a new knife! So I’m real interested in what kind and brand of knives you carry. As I make knives with a hammer and fire, and have no machine shop at my disposal, I’m limited to producing fixed blades. Consequently I really like folding knives, and if I was any more obsessed with them, I’d probably have to hire a really good divorce attorney. That said, I’ve never met a knife I didn’t like. So fess up, dump those pockets, pocketbooks and pouches and let the gang know what you carry; or what future EDC item(s) do you have your eyes on? Oh yeah, if you want to post photos, or store links, or video links, that would be super cool. One caution, some folks might not want to reveal publicly what firearms they own or carry, and I’m cool with that, but I don’t think the Feds care what kind of flashlight or screwdriver you carry…unless it’s a .45 caliber semi-auto screwdriver….😉

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Dana Acker.
    Maiko replied 1 year, 1 month ago 6 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • dana.acker

Organizer
    February 21, 2023 at 7:44 pm

Oh yeah, just for the record, if I recommend XYZ brand of anything, I’m not being compensated in ANY way by the manufacturer or seller. I’ll recommend an item if I have owned or used said item, or have contact with someone who has. For example, I have a colleague who purchased and carries a Medford Knife and Tool “Praetorian” folder. I don’t own one, but nonetheless, it’s a monster knife, expertly built, highly functional, dependable, has an action like a Swiss clock, is aesthetically pleasing to view, and is priced accordingly. I’m a huge fan of Medford Knives, but Greg Medford ain’t gonna be sending me a free knife for saying so, OK?

• donna.b-2-11

February 21, 2023 at 9:51 pm

I carry a big bag full of stuff bandage scissors , My wallet on my credit cards gum 10cc syringe eyeglass cleaner can’t stand smudgy eyeglasses ,sunglasses anything my children would hand me , (here hold this Mom) nail clippers ,pens I used to win the purse game 😂got beat by a old lady who had tissue 🤣. That’s so very interesting that you make knives dana.My husband all ways had one on his belt till the pc police came in to fashion.maybe you will post some pictures of your work on here I bet there wonderful 👍.

• dana.acker

Organizer
      February 21, 2023 at 10:36 pm

OK, first of all Donna, please understand that I’m a technology Neanderthal. Once upon a time when Paine.TV first came to be, I posted 10-12 photos on my personal profile page, under “My Photos.” When I bring that up there are blank thumbnails, which , if you click on them and try to view them, and all the planets are aligned correctly, you may be able to see them. They are random samples of decades of work styles. Good luck, and please let me know if you can see them (and how you got it to work). Note: the more native looking pieces are early work. The dagger with the blue handles I made two Christmases ago for my Granddaughter.

• donna.b-2-11

February 21, 2023 at 10:41 pm

I’m also technically challenged maybe I’ll attempt it it was nice of you to at least try though I might give it a shot maybe someone else can help me walk through it, still pretty cool thing you do

• donna.b-2-11

February 21, 2023 at 10:51 pm

The one on your page is very nice, reminds me of the scene from crocodile Dundee now that’s a knife

• dana.acker

Organizer
            February 21, 2023 at 11:26 pm

OK, if you go out to my @dana.acker profile page. There’s a tool bar, and at the far right are 3 dots. Tap on the 3 dots and a drop down window will pop up. Tap on “My Photos.” Then tap “Open.” For some reason only 3 photos of a machete, with a utility knife and a ferro rod fire starter I just finished for my brother-in-law are displayed. The other thumbnails are blank, but if you tap on them a blank page comes up. Tap on “Download” at the bottom of the page. Another page pops up, which if you tap on, you’ll get another pop up box. Click on “View,”and the photo will appear. On the machete, the handle material is obscured by black hockey stick tape for better grip when in use.

• donna.b-2-11

February 22, 2023 at 8:15 am

Thanks so much for helping me see your work .Very nice 👍

• Taxman

February 21, 2023 at 10:17 pm

Two things I always carry close to me….maybe not always on my person, but definitely always in the utility bag in the car.
    On my person – a very plain silver necklace with a silver crucifix – given to me by my late grandmother who had it blessed in her home church in Acapulco, Mexico. She walked to that church every Sunday from her house.

In my work bag – Not sure why, but I always have a pair of needle nose pliers. Very skinny, with a sharp interior blade for cutting wires, etc. I can’t tell you how many times that particular tool has come in handy.

• dana.acker

Organizer
      February 21, 2023 at 11:04 pm

I’m glad you mentioned the cross that belonged to your Grandmother. That’s as significant as it is cool. What a treasure! My son, J.W. is now 39 years old, but when he was 5 or 6, we were at a flea market, and at one booth, there was an old pocketknife in a box of junk. My son took an interest in it. He asked how much, and the guy in the booth said, “If your dad wants to buy it, it’s five bucks; but if you want to buy it, it’s a dollar.” So he bought it, and gave it to me. It’s an old Camillus electrician’s knife. Camillus was a large knife making company who along with Ka-Bar, made US Marine combat knives forever, plus other military issue knives. It has a knife blade, worn down from eons of sharpening, but still quite functional. The second blade looks like a very uneven saw blade, which an electrician told me wasn’t a saw at all, but each notch was for stripping different gauges of wire. It’s been in my pocket every single day since. So I really appreciate your sharing about the cross. Also, I always have a multitool on me which has needle nose pliers (with wire cutters) that I can’t live without. You mentioned your “work bag.” What kind of work do you do?

• UpinCT

February 21, 2023 at 10:53 pm

Always in my purse: sewing kit, teeny little swiss army knife, pocket saw, measuring tape, several hair tie-backs (I have long hair past my shoulder blades), flashlight, 2-3 lighters, and two carved wooden hearts. My daughter & daughter-in-law have matching hearts. I have other stuff in the car. Blankets, cat litter, extra sneakers and winter boots, 2 gal water & some long-term food.

Friends think I’m crazy.

• dana.acker

Organizer
      February 21, 2023 at 11:02 pm

I lived both in Philly and Manhattan for about 10 years. You can’t have too much winter survival gear in your vehicle. I take it the kitty litter is for traction when on snow or ice, and not for the cat, right?

• dana.acker

Organizer
      February 21, 2023 at 11:06 pm

I have long hair too; you can’t have too many hair ties either. The pocket saw is a great thing to have. What brand is it? Do you like it?

• Maiko

March 12, 2023 at 12:12 am

Ok since I am not the only one, what hair ties are good? Mine is way long, and I often have issues with them being too tight, or pulling out hairs, or putting all the stress on a couple of hairs. I usually resort to hats or headphones to manage my hair.

• UpinCT

February 22, 2023 at 12:58 am

My son gave me the little pocket saw a few years ago, no biggie, just Stanley. Nice to have, though! Yes the cat litter is for traction; they brine the roads now here in CT, got rid of sand as it clogs the sewers. You never know in these Berkshire foothills when you might need a little extra. Cheapo car mats work well too if you’re stuck, so they are on top of my regular car mats, which are on top of the factory-issued ones.

• dana.acker

Organizer
    February 22, 2023 at 7:21 pm

For all you tool heads in the Tavern, let me turn y’all on to some really cool tools. They are the: https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Cobra-100-87-00/dp/B085WBGQNP/ref=sr_1_1?content-id=amzn1.sym.9575273b-ecd8-4648-9bf0-15f20c657e0a&keywords=knipex+100mm&pd_rd_r=66ab9421-23b4-4eaa-8ef5-4d90cd2f4d1b&pd_rd_w=DkOYZ&pd_rd_wg=JMW8F&pf_rd_p=9575273b-ecd8-4648-9bf0-15f20c657e0a&pf_rd_r=3B0MH3XDSC26C8XA16V9&qid=1677109845&sr=8-1 and also the: https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-86-04-100-Pliers-Wrench-XS/dp/B09DJVNNND/ref=sr_1_9?content-id=amzn1.sym.9575273b-ecd8-4648-9bf0-15f20c657e0a&keywords=knipex+100mm&pd_rd_r=66ab9421-23b4-4eaa-8ef5-4d90cd2f4d1b&pd_rd_w=DkOYZ&pd_rd_wg=JMW8F&pf_rd_p=9575273b-ecd8-4648-9bf0-15f20c657e0a&pf_rd_r=3B0MH3XDSC26C8XA16V9&qid=1677109845&sr=8-9 These two little tools look like toys, but they are far from it. They are ultra compact, German engineered pocket sized tools. Don’t let the size fool you, both tools, the pliers or channel locks (black) and the pliers-wrench silver color) both have jaw openings of roughly an inch. They are super tough, and once you use them a time or two, you’ll not want to leave home without them. Knipex is a trusted name in the tool business, famous for superior quality. They make much larger versions of the pliers. Several home improvements stores also carry them, but the photos, specs, and testimonials are there on Amazon for you to check out. I got both of them for Christmas and I’m hooked. Little tools that are capable of big jobs. Do shop around, as prices vary sales outlet to sales outlet. On Amazon, note: the pliers are listed side by side; the very same item, but one is several dollars more expensive than the other. The more expensive ones are packaged in promotional packaging—clear plastic clamshell outers with descriptive cardboard backing, capable of hanging for display. The less expensive one just comes in a small box. Same exact tool. Also on the pliers/wrench, Amazon lists the material from which it is made as “silver.” The tool is made of a high chrome vanadium stainless steel, not silver. Check them out. What’s neat is you can get them into tight spaces larger wrenches and pliers can’t fit. I really love mine.

• dana.acker

Organizer
    February 22, 2023 at 7:26 pm

Don’t know how the pliers displayed…? Also I will say that I find them handier than a small adjustable wrench of similar size.

• BrodyDog

February 22, 2023 at 9:49 pm

Thanks. These look nice.