A Couple Of New (kind of) Knives….

• A Couple Of New (kind of) Knives….

Posted by dana.acker on February 8, 2022 at 11:49 am

Hey fellow Taverneers! Haven’t been as prolific for a while, because right before Christmas I had a shop injury (clinical diagnosis was Dumbassery) where I broke one finger and sustained bad burns to multiple fingers on the same hand. So typing’s not been one of my strong suits of late. I self medicated: popsicle sticks, duct tape, lots of Aloevera, Mezcal and Tequila. The injuries were to my left hand, and I am left handed. However when I was in the first grade I had a wicked old bat for a teacher who felt her mission in life was to beat me into being right handed. Left in the Latin language is “sinister” and she felt that I was just that because of my dominant hand. Few people know that I wrote the song “Whipping Post” in the first grade…insert crickets sound here. No I didn’t really write “Whipping Post,” but at the time I felt like I could have. Now I’m not fishing for sympathy here, because the silver lining to the dark cloud was that I ended up being ambidextrous. And being so, I was able to complete the knives depicted right handed. There are mirror image photos of the knives. One is a cleaver, forged from 0.25 inch thick 1095 carbon steel, and differentially heat treated, with a Kydex sheath. The other knife’s photos aren’t great—it’s hard to manipulate a small camera with a busted up hand. It also was forged from 0.25 inch thick 1095. If you expand the photos you can see through the shadow from shooting in bright sunlight. The tanto point is convex beveled so as to allow maximum thickness and strength. The cutting edge is more “hollow ground,” however said hollow grind and convex bevels were actually hammered in, then just cleaned up with a belt grinder. It also has a Kydex sheath. The tanto is being carried by a law enforcement officer on his combat vest. I’ve got the popsicle sticks and duct tape off now, and the burns have pretty much healed, as this long diatribe shows. And, once again, my posting these is not for solicitation purposes. Just wanted y’all to see what your old Tavern keeper does when he’s not breaking bones and setting himself on fire.

dana.acker replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • dana.acker

Organizer
    February 8, 2022 at 11:51 am

Two of the thumbnail photos show no knife; I guess you have to click on them or something…?

• SpotTheDog

February 8, 2022 at 12:58 pm

Good thing you stayed away from the jab for “dumbassery”. 😎🍻

• dana.acker

Organizer
    February 9, 2022 at 11:14 am

Yeah, I don’t need to be a bigger dumbass than I already am. Taking the jab would just be throwing gas on the fire😉☠️🤪