Reply To: “Show Me the Money….”

• dana.acker

Organizer
    February 14, 2023 at 9:36 pm

I agree with most of what you say, Liberti; you make some very good points. My only problem with land, is that the county, city, state or federal governments can take it away. I had a friend lose his property when the city annexed his once county land, condemned his house, demolished it, and charged him an exorbitant fee for the destruction. He fought it and is fighting it, but it’s like they say, “You can’t fight City Hall.” If he can’t pay the $8000.00 demolition cost, they will take his land…which borders one of the wealthiest and highest tax brackets in the city. The land across the street from his wasn’t annexed. I also was working in Honduras when its government nationalized all foreign investment, including property. Eminent domain, state ownership of all mineral rights (including water rights—even water in one’s well) are other tools in their arsenal to steal land. It’s a nice idea, buying some off the grid land, but it’s far from secure. “Life, liberty and property” has been replaced by “Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”