Today’s Show Oct 18th

• Today’s Show Oct 18th

Posted by American.Patriot on October 18, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Regarding today’s show. Companies pay things like detention and storage on containers, chassis, and trailers. It does appear to me that some of this is intentional. Read an article last week that national TL – Truck Load – carriers are complaining that so much of their equipment is tied up in detenion. These are your typical 53 ft dry van trailers. Basically, they are being used for storage rather than delivering freight. Why a Walmart, etc., would not want their frt delivered is a mystery to me. Storage and detention is brutal. Most places give you about 2 to 3 days most free days before storage or detention kicks in on the ocean side. Not sure I buy into the the port issues. Going back to Mike’s video from the driver in Seattle. It was the port not unloading ships. All of the ports are backed up. LA is getting all of the attn but NYC is not much different for delays. One correction is that the newer equipment required is emissions related. That’s why they require the newer trucks. I have carriers that will no longer go to CA because of the difficulties of doing business in CA. Which only raises rates due to less capacity, etc. I recently paid 8500.00 CA/MI for a simple dry van to expedite ocean frt that finally arrived at LA. Should have been somewhere half pre-covid. Btwn capacity issues and fuel, rates are out of control.

Christine_B replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Christine_B

October 20, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Add in the silly health requirements from crony the workforce just isn’t there either. Interesting view on the storing in boxes vs unloading.
    All the equipment per diem detention days are increasing in cost too, and escalate quickly!
    i’m in intermodal and i’ll do some checking with the big boxers. i’m thinking of one account specifically. One that causes spreadsheets emails conference calls to speak about the escalating charges! Just unload the shit.

Equipment is tight, chassis are all bad ordered or not to be found.
    After sitting forever now you have damage, claims.

All about the $$$, and making it back! disgusting!

• American.Patriot

Organizer
      October 21, 2021 at 9:05 am
      • Christine_B

October 21, 2021 at 9:43 am

Thank you, I Do! it’s so true about how many loads/runs the drivers can do now in a day. Taking money out of their pockets too!

The UPRR assessed peak season surcharges all this past year, when Sep. is usually the start of this surcharge, which can start at 1500 per load.

The railroad issues times to availability for the container. You have 24-48hrs to remove the load from their rail yard or the hundreds of dollars start to accrue. It’s not uncommon to bring the train in for unloading, have it sit for 4 days, notify the train at 1400 on a Friday. Your free time expires on Saturday.

No mitigation, no understand, just gimme gimme gimme! I hear from the drivers, no crew to work the train for unloading.

The storage rates right now;

Days 1-2: $140/day
        Days 3-4: $185/day
        Days 5+: $225/day

Not only are drivers not wanting to work weekends, the receivers are not open.

All the mandates, i’m sure due to safety, placed on the drivers don’t help. Drivers cannot drive over X amount of hours, and they now log their hours with electronic logs!

SMFH!